Roof Talk-101 What are the different types of green roofs?
Posted by John Hurdt
There are three types of green roofs:
1. Extensive Green Roofs – designed for environmental solutions
Whistler Daycare Centre: Extensive green roofs are ideal for schools, industrial parks, large big-box stores and multi-family housing.
2. Intensive Green Roofs – also known as rooftop gardens
- 8-12 inches, or more, of growing medium.
- fully landscaped roof top garden.
- require regular maintenance -similar to an at-grade garden.
- diverse plants and trees can be planted (avoid plants with invasive root systems).
- walkways, railings and lighting.
- parks, playgrounds or vegetable gardens are possible
Chicago City Hall: Light weight soils at 4, 6 and 18 inches in depth.
3. Semi-intensive Green Roofs – elements of both extensive and intensive systems
- Semi-intensive roofs, combinations of both extensive and intensive green roofs, are typically adopted to harness both the environmental benefits of a green roof, as well as a diverse garden within a manageable maintenance budget.
Vancouver Public Library: Semi-intensive green roofs are ideal for long-term care facilities, daycare play spaces, employee picnic areas, and urban agriculture.
ROOFGUARD-LLC has been installing commercial roofing systems for over 30 years. We have the solutions you are looking for if you desire a new commercial roof or need a re-roof. We only use the best products and installation practices to insure you have a worry-free commercial roof. Please Like Us on our Roofguardtexas Facebook Page.